Monday, May 26, 2014

Happy Memorial Day and THANK YOU to all who help protect freedom!

Today is Memorial Day in the USA and this is the day we give thanks to all the men and women who put themselves in harms way every day to protect our freedom. They also make many many sacrifices including extended periods of time away from loved ones. We could never live the every day peaceful life we live without their sacrifice.

Here is a six minute tribute that I found particularly touching. At the end it also helps us remember all of the conflicts our American veterans were sent to fight in. Note that many times they did not want to fight, but did so as a way of honoring their duty and protecting our freedoms.

Today we live in a connected world, and many of you reading this will not be from the USA. Despite being an American holiday with beginnings in the American Civil War, I believe Memorial Day should honor all service members from all countries who protect the freedoms of their country.

I'll end with what is my favorite song about the USA - "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood which was first released in 1984. Regardless of your religious beliefs or country citizenship, you may still agree that this is a very powerful song both musically and lyrically:

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
I'd thank my lucky stars to be livin' here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away

I wish you all a safe and happy Memorial Day - Thank you once again to all who protect and serve us every day!

Peace, Love & Laughter, ~Vincent James @ LoveSongs.com

No comments: