Friday, May 30, 2014

Top 5 Wedding First Dance Songs + Katy Perry does it again!

June is almost upon us and its traditionally one of the most popular months of the year for Weddings. I recently did an interview with AXS.com where I gave my personal Top 5 Wedding First Dance Songs and why. We also talked about what makes a love song timeless - what makes it last year after year and decade after decade. Why do some songs from the 60s-70s still get played on the radio today while others are forgotten to history. It was a fun interview and you can reac the whole thing right here at Vincent James - Top 5 Wedding First Dance Songs

I'll relist the songs here but you'll need to check the AXS article for why I picked this particular five. My top five in no particular order were:

  • Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley)
  • I Swear (All 4 One, John Michael Montgomery
  • Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You (Glenn Medeiros)
  • Valentine (Jim Brickman featuring Martina McBride)
  • All of Me (John Legend)

Feel free to post a comment here telling us what your favorite Wedding First Dance song is. To check out the full interview about Top 5 Wedding First Dance Songs please click here

Katy Perry gives us another #1 Pop Song

One of my new favorite songs from the radio isn't exactly a Wedding First Dance song, but it is a great pop tune. Since coming on the scene in 2008, Katy Perry has given us no less than 13 Top Ten Billboard hits including 9 #1 hits - that is pretty amazing for any artist but especially one still so young. Katy Perry started out as Katy Hudson (her real name) back in 2001 with a self-titled CD release and two tours when only 16 years old. Back then her music primarily focused on Christian Rock but unfortunately was not successful. After transforming her music and style into a pop princess she has given us hit song after hit song. Katy's latest song "Dark Horse" has also gone to #1 and for good reason. It's an incredibly well-written and produced pop song and features these tantalizing lines:

"Make me your Aphrodite...
Make me your one and only"
which is followed up by

"So you wanna play with magic,
boy you should know what you're falling for
Baby do you dare to do this"
Cause I'm coming at ya like a dark horse

It's not Shakespeare, but as pop lyrics go they're pretty awesome and when you add in some great melodies that Katy is famous for you can definitely see why "Dark Horse" went all the way to #1. My only partial critique of the song is I'm not a big fan of the rap inserted in the middle like is done on many pop songs these days. There are many rap songs I have liked over the years and I have liked when rap is inserted into a pop song in some cases. But too many times I feel its added just to try to expand the audience when the pop song really stands on its own with the added rap just detracted from the music. I'll write a future blog post featuring pop songs where I felt the rap section added actually added something to the song to make it better.

Here is the Egyptian themed video for "Dark Horse" which has been viewed almost 400 million times (that's just crazzzzy)

That's everything for today folks - I hope you have a great weekend and we'll be back to you with another post in June - which is like reaaaaal soon :)

Peace, Love & Laughter,

Vincent James @ LoveSongs.com

No comments: