Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturdays Indie Tune - "Danielle" by Leigh Goldstein

A few years back i had the good fortune to meet singer-songwriter Leigh Goldstein from the Philadelphia area. When I first heard his collection of songs I was pretty amazed. We meet so many indie songwriters/performers but we rarely meet one with so many songs that really touch us. Leigh's amazing gift has his smooth baritone voice reaching out to the listener with a story of love and loss - always making us feel the pain and joy along the way. I had the priviledge of hearing Leigh perform live many times and after hearing his CD I asked if I could record one of his songs entitled "A Little Bit". Perhaps my funniest story was when I played "A Little Bit" once in a crowded venue, two girls came up to me afterward and said that was teh best song they had ever heard. Which to me is the ultimate compliment for a songwriter and I quickly pointed them to Leigh and passed on the story so he could feel the looove :) For todays' indie release we're gonna feature another of Leigh's songs called Danielle and you can hear it on his MySpace page here. Its haunting etheral sound will connect with you immediately and you'll be quickly drawn into Leigh's special world:

"Danielle" by Leigh Goldstein at MySpace

95% of all Music Downloads Illegal?

A new report says that up to 95% of all music downloads are not paid downloads. While physicl CD sales continue to drop (16 % in 2009), digital sales increases are slowing down (just 12% last year after 25% in 2008). This seems to coincide with our post last Saturday about the possibility of streaming music becoming the new model to sell music (see our post from last Saturday The End of Itunes as we know it?? . Some how it will all have to work out and consumers will need to pay for music and arts in some fashion - the alternative would be that music and arts will slowly but surely die off which isn't a path any of us want to take. Here's the new article from Financial Times about the Digital Sales drop off Digital Sales Dropping Off

This last story reminds me of another funny Leigh Golstein moment...we were both playing at the local mall for Valentines Day or Fathers Day I can't remember...we were selling our CDs too and Leigh commented "I wish someone would just take my CD" - he was so happy at the idea that someone would like his music enough to steal it that he was okay with that...was a funny moment that I'll always remember.

That's all for Saturday - gots lots to do - will be back tomorrow/Sunday with another post and a flashback love song that you may have never heard before but wish you did :)

~Vincent

No comments: